Web Developer Questions
Questions to Ask When Choosing a Freelance Web Designer:
- What is your background?
- Do you build sites that render on mobile devices? (Ask to see an example)
- Do you do the work yourself? If not, who does the work and where are they located?
- Who will be my point of contact during the design/build process? Will I have access to the person building the site?
- Do you maintain the site after it’s built? Are there recurring fees?
- Does your fee include search engine optimization?
- If so, what is your approach to search engine optimization and how comprehensive is your process? Can you do more for an extra fee?
- How do you handle the content of the site? Do I provide it? Is writing included?
- How do you handle photography for the site? Is some stock photography included or do I need to provide photography?
- What technology do you recommend for building the site?
- traditional html/css (fastest)
- Content Management System (CMS) – most common
- 60% of CMS in use today are WordPress, 6% are Joomla, 5% are Drupal. (beware of others)
- What does your schedule look like? When can you start?
- How long does it usually take to have the site completed?
- Do you build it on a test site and then move it to my url?
- Do you have a hosting company that you recommend? (steer clear of GoDaddy).
- Do you host the site on your own server? (don’t let anyone do this)
- Do I pay you or the hosting company? (I recommend that you always pay the hosting company so that the site belongs to YOU and not your web developer)
- Do you do social media for a recurring fee? Can you supply images for a Twitter background, a Facebook timeline and profile?